Saturday, May 24, 2014

Salted Caramel Tea cup Cupcakes


My niece, who lives in Australia, recently shared photos of her visit to a local cafe called The Silva Spoon.  More specifically, she posted a photo of a yummy-looking cupcake served in a tea cup...and she assured me that those alone were worth a visit to Australia.  Since I don't think I'll be in Australia anytime soon, I just borrowed the concept of serving a special dessert in a tea cup.  We had some birthdays to celebrate over here...and had a girls' luncheon.  For dessert, we each had our own wee cake served in a family heirloom tea cup.

I used our family favorite apple cake recipe...which made 18 large cupcakes.  I made a Caramel Butter Cream frosting (recipe to follow)...and piped it onto the cupcakes with a tip of my choice.  Make that my second choice...since I couldn't locate the tip I was after.  I drizzled a little caramel sauce on top...and added a sprinkle of sea salt.  And those were our Salted Caramel Birthday Cupcakes-in-a-Teacup.

* * * * *

Caramel Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
  • 3/4 cup Caramel Sauce, cooled completely (recipe below)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
Whip butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (several minutes).
Add icing sugar and blend on low speed until combined.
Add caramel sauce and vanilla and beat until well blended.

Caramel Sauce
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup salted butter
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  1. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat, whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. 
  2.  Once mixture reaches a boil, stop stirring and allow mixture to boil until it turns amber, swirling pan occasionally. 
  3. Add butter; whisk until butter has melted then remove from heat. 
  4. Wait 3 seconds then carefully pour in cream, whisking until smooth. 
  5. Allow caramel to cool completely. 
 * * * * *

Use your imagination.  Find a cupcake liner that fits nicely into your teacups (likely extra-large).  Bake your favorite cupcake; cool, then transfer to a tea cup and decorate as you please.  They will want to have dessert first.  I know! 
 

That is why, one of the wee birthday cakes seemed to have a piece missing when it came time for dessert!